Faggin bicycles are synonymous with traditional craftsmanship and high-quality products. This is due to the work of it’s founder - Marcello Faggin – who, in Udine, Italy, began hand-building custom racing bicycles from steel in 1945. Like many of the great frame builders of his era, Marcello was a former racing cyclist, who had a keen eye for what made a high-quality racing machine.
After two years of operating in Udine, Faggin moved to Padua, where it is still located. However, the post-War years were difficult for the company and it wasn’t until 1970 that Marcello began to focus on supplying professional teams with exquisitely crafted, custom bicycles. As his focus shifted towards racing, he passed management of the brand on to his four daughters, who would continue to design and weld bicycles in their Padua workshop whilst managing what was becoming a global business from home.
As the 1980s progressed, thousands of Faggin bicycles were exported around the world. Enthusiasts of Italian steel were compelled by Faggin’s quality and prestige. Events like the 1984 Olympics – where the Italian pursuit squad rode custom-built Faggin bicycles – only increased the brand’s popularity.
The Faggin story continues to this day, where the finest examples of their catalogue are made by hand in the very same workshop in Padua. Each bicycle is made to measure and the high quality designs outweigh their considerable value.
Click here to visit the official Faggin website
Masi, or Masi cicli, was founded by Faliero Masi in 1949. Faliero Masi had been a professional cyclist since the 1930s and throughout his competitive career he had accumulated an array of knowledge about steel bicycles and their properties as racing machines.
Faliero had his own way of fitting racing bikes to their riders, becoming known as 'the tailor'. He built bikes for both Jacques Anquetil and Fausto Coppi, but as the popularity of the Masi brand grew, many professional racers had already signed contracts with other companies. This, unfortunately, meant that Masi bicycles were not in as much demand as Faliero had initially hoped for.
Chesini was founded in 1925, when Gelmino Chesini - a former mechanic - built a bicycle named the Chesini Biciprecision in Nesente, a small village near Verona, Italy.
The Second World War would stunt the growth of Gelmino's brand, but the post-war years brought great optimism to Italy. Chesini felt this atmosphere too, and in 1947 acquired the Cicli Valetti factory in Verona, alongside the relocation of the headquarters to Via San Paolo in the city centre. This would begin the momentum that would bring Chesini bicycles great success.
The expansion of the factory and headquarters allowed Gelmino to pour resources into research and development in an attempt to find new, innovative solutions for Chesini bicycles. The fruits of his efforts would be harvested in 1963, as a Chesini bicycle would be ridden by Flaviano Vincentini to the Solo 100km World Amateur Championship. In the subsequent years, Chesini bicycles of the Italian national team won the 1964 and 1965 100km Team World Amateur Championships.
As Gelmino's son - Gabriele - took control of the company, he oversaw the expansion of the Chesini brand and sponsorship of a series of professional teams. Gabriele decided to halt collateral operations, such as a service centre for sewing machines, as focused on developing the highest quality bicycles.
Today, Chesini still operates from Via San Paolo in Verona and continues to follow a philosophy based upon 'quality and dynamism'.